Realizing The Vision - Land Redevelopment Study
Staff is currently writing a scope of work for an on-call consultant.
To develop a strategy based on successful models from around the country on how best to connect key partners with plan visions and goals. There are many plans for the county which describe a vision for the future that is different (sometimes significantly) from the present. In order to realize those visions, there need to be some strong relationships. Key among them is the relationship between the land owners and developers and M-NCPPC and its’ partner agencies. This study looks at the Subregion 1 plan area, and the Route 1 Corridor within it, to consider how to develop those relationships in order to realize the vision within the plan.
The Subregion 1 Master Plan contains a number of policies and strategies aimed at providing a more walkable and urban street form to the US Route 1 corridor. Central to the change in form is the notion of providing frontage on US Route 1. That central concept requires redevelopment of many sites along the corridor, which has yet to happen. This strategy will look at case studies from across the country that faced similar implementation roadblocks and succeeded. The strategy will discuss, with the experts involved in those cases, what the conditions for a successful relationship are, and how to ensure all parties buy in to the vision and seek to work together to realize it. The strategy will make recommendations regarding successful processes and strategies and how they can be applied to Prince George’s County.
- Provide an assessment of the available tools from each of the case studies and make recommendations for the Subregion 1 Master Plan – which can be applied to other areas in the county.
- Consider the effectiveness of incentives both regulatory and financial to property owners and potential corridor businesses including those available for business start-ups, facility expansions, job creation and equipment purchases to facilitate the region’s job growth and maximize tax base.
- Encourage greater coordinated relationships among commercial and industrial land uses with surrounding neighborhoods.
- Establish and maintain dialogue and close collaboration between the county and existing property owners along the US 1 Corridor in preparation for long-term redevelopment.
The 2010 Adopted Subregion 1 Master Plan sets out a vision for the area which includes:
1. Encourage small-scale, neighborhood-serving, retail uses along the US 1 Corridor to meet gaps in the marketplace.
2. Provide high-quality mixed-use development along US 1.
3. Provide a pedestrian-friendly environment that is a safe and enjoyable place to walk.
4. Develop design standards and guidelines for achieving high-quality development and improving the form and character of development along the corridor.
5. Support a quality urban design framework
6. Eliminate substandard, marginal uses and properties, along the US 1 Corridor that need major structural repair and/or promote an unsafe, low-quality setting.