Southern Avenue Station is the first stop in Prince George’s County and one stop from the major redevelopment site at St. Elizabeths Hospital in the District of Columbia. The station sits at the bottom of a steep slope in the Oxon Run valley, a stream protected by parkland. Undeveloped land on the heights south of the station may have development potential. The station itself has a large parking deck structure and bus facilities.
Station Area Vision
At the doorstep to the Nation’s Capital on the Green Line, the plan envisions new office development within walking distance of the station. Appropriate zoning and guidelines are in place to ensure well designed development.
Southern Avenue Metrorail Station
- Located on the east side of Southern Avenue and southwest of 23rd Parkway.
- There are moderate slopes that have been identified as possible environmental conditions on the station site.
- The nearest communities are Hillcrest Heights, Barnaby Terrace, Shipley Terrace.
- The General Plan places this station in the Developed Tier and classifies it as a Community Center.
- Access is via Southern Avenue (DC), 23rd Parkway (limited), and Wheeler Road (DC).
Summary of Allowable Uses
The land uses planned within one-half mile of the Metro station are office and multifamily. The Heights Master Plan and Sectional Map Amendment (2000) is the applicable master plan for this Metro station area.
Sites in Public Ownership
WMATA owns 19.3 acres including the station and parking.
- Bike Parking: There are 14 bike racks and 40 lockers available at this station.
- Car Sharing is available at this station.
- 1,980-space surface lot
- 200-space metered surface lot
- 11 Metrobus routes
- 1 THE BUS route
- Transit Ridership
- 5,961 entries
- 5,760 exits