Greater Cheverly Sector Plan
On January 23, 2018 the Prince George's County District Council approved the Adopted Greater Cheverly Sector Plan. The approved sector plan will consist of the Preliminary Greater Cheverly Sector Plan, Planning Board Resolution, and the District Council Resolution until the document is ready for release.
On September 26, 2017, the Prince George's County District Council approved Council Resolution CR-084-2017 to amend the 2017 Adopted Greater Cheverly Sector Plan (PGCPB N0.17-83).The proposed amendment to the Adopted Greater Cheverly Sector Plan, seeks to revise Map 9, Local Town Center Core area near the Cheverly Metro Station to expand the boundary of the core area. This proposed change authorizes a second joint public hearing per Section 27-646(a)(2) of the Zoning Ordinance.
The second joint Planning Board and District Council public hearing on the proposed amendment to the adopted sector plan has been scheduled for Monday, November 6, 2017, at 7:00 p.m. in the County Administration Building, First Floor Hearing Room, Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Doors will open at 6:00 p.m. Planning Staff will be available to answer questions.
The adopted sector plan (For viewing only) and Council Resolution CR-084-2017 are also available at the following locations:
- Cooper Lane Elementary School, 3817 Cooper Lane, Landover, Maryland 20784
- Robert R. Gray Elementary School, 4949 Addison Road, Capitol Heights, Maryland 20743
- Fairmount Heights Branch Library, 5904 Kolb Street, Fairmount Heights, Maryland 20743
- Bladensburg Branch Library, 4820 Annapolis Road, Bladensburg, Maryland 20710
- Town of Cheverly Municipal Center, 6401 Forest Road, Cheverly, Maryland 20785
- Office of the Clerk of the County Council, County Administration Building, Second Floor 14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive, Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772
- M-NCPPC, County Administration Building, Planning Information Services, Lower Level, 14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772 (8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday)
If you wish to speak at the public hearing, you are encouraged to register in advance by calling the Prince George’s County M-NCPPC Public Affairs Office at 301-952-4584 or TTY 301-952-4366. You may sign-up online or call 301-952-4584 until 1:00 p.m. on the day of the hearing. Written testimony and/or exhibits will be accepted in lieu of, or in addition to, oral testimony. To be accepted into the record, written testimony or comments must be original, signed documents. E-mails or faxes will not be considered unless followed by an original. Send written testimony to the Clerk of the Council, County Administration Building, Room 2198, 14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive, Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772 via regular U.S. Mail. Written comments must be submitted by the close of business on November 21, 2017, when the public hearing record will close.
The Greater Cheverly Preliminary Sector Plan map builds upon recommendations from the Prince George's 2035 Approved General Plan, the 2005 Sector Plan for Tuxedo Road/Arbor Street/Cheverly Metro, and the 2014 Kenilworth Avenue and Town of Cheverly Industrial Study, a recent study that analyzes some of the industrial areas in the plan area.
The sector plan will include implementable recommendations that address the following elements:
- Community Heritage, Culture, and Design
- Economic Prosperity
- Healthy Communities
- Land Use
- Natural Environment
- Transportation and Mobility
- Improve pedestrian and cyclist safety, access, and connections within the plan area.
- Increase connectivity by all modes throughout the area, particularly the employment areas and the Cheverly Metro Station.
- Preserve and strengthen residential neighborhoods.
- Identify opportunities for infill and redevelopment of the Arbor Street/Tuxedo Road area and the Prince George's Hospital site.
- Conduct a focused assessment of environmental conditions, and develop strategies for improvement.